When Sun released OpenJDK, I thought that I would give it a spin to try it out. I ended up getting frustrated with all of the dependencies and tweaks that were required to get it to build properly especially on my Fedora system. That was on build 12 I believe.
I remember reading that the requirements for motif which isn’t easily available forÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Fedora was changed to allow the GPL motif replacement freetif. I recall saying to myself that I would have to try to build OpenJDK again. That was a couple of months ago.
Well this weekend I finally got the latest version of OpenJDK and the binary bundle and attempted to build it. I ran into a few dependency and path issues but nothing serious. It finally compiled!!!
Yeah! I will try to get a new Fedora image installed in VMWare and do a build from scratch and document it. It is very nice to see that the project has been smoothing out some of the rough edges and is becoming easier to access and build.